As I ride in the passenger seat of a friends truck, I can’t help but to reminisce on the journey thus far. To me this isn’t years in the making but decades. I would like to give my most sincere thanks to my family and friends that have helped me on numerous occasions, to lengths indescribable.
This is when the fun begins!!
Made some strut tops, cut out some templates to start closing off the rear firewall and bent some tube to help brace the rear structure and create a more stable area for the rear struts.
Happy is the feeling as I start the roll cage. Things have been slow since the return from Japan, jetlag is no joke! This will be my first go so I’m moving a little slow because of the cost of DOM right now.
Well, I finally have the chassis dolly completed. I’ve already noted a few things that will be changed if I make another one in the future but this one will serve it’s purpose well. There’s one more caster to add to the front bar and then she will be truly complete. The weight is distributed pretty well as I was able to get in the car and rock it side to side with no movement. The most surprising thing so far is how much space it actually frees up. Being able to move it around the shop makes it much easier to get my Datsun inside. Anyway, pics! Thanks for the lens Dave, I feel like I need a 50mm 1.8 now!
There’s so much more space for activities!!
Raising the car is never an option. It doesn’t look good and that’s about the only reason you need. When your low profile jack can’t even make it under the car, you only have a few options. You can do the wood plank dance or what I’ve done here, unless you’re ballin out of control and buy air jacks.
Two weeks later, after a work trip in Ohio, I get around to this. Made it to the track with time to spare, drove the entire time, no over heating, nothing broke, went off track multiple times and didn’t break the kit (needs lower) and made it home safely by 3am. The clutch sucks, I’m down on power (obviously), wheels rub in the fender wells and the e-brake is almost useless. At least I have a plan to fix things, when’s the next event?
Two weeks until the infamous Trial By Fire Night Event in conjunction with NASA Arizona. This is one of the biggest events of the year so naturally I registered without the car even running…
Tonight after work I got the brakes bled, the clutch bled, the e-brake and shoes adjusted properly, put the car back on the ground and prepped for some engine work.
I’m a chassis guy. It’s what I do at work and what I prefer to do if someone ask me for help with their car. So of course I decided there was a bunch of useless crap on the engine that wasn’t going to make the car any faster, it was just stuff getting in my way….
like the EGR tubes and such. I made some block off plates.
But as it turns out, the KA really doesn’t like to run well without these things. Most importantly, Idle Air Control parts (doh!). Anyway, that is what’s on the menu for next week. Get this thing running enough to do some Hooliganistic street antics and make sure all my T’s are crossed.